South Carolina family law allows people to request modifications to existing child custody and visitation orders, child support orders and alimony orders (except when the alimony is specifically non-modifiable). Modifying a court order may seem like a straightforward matter, but it is best to work with a lawyer. Changes to the law or misinterpreting the statute can mean that you do not receive the result you wanted from the modification request.

We have the experience to assist you with modification, whether you are the party seeking or contesting one. You can rely on our attorney’s knowledge of family law and assessment of your case. We will advise you of your options so you can decide whether to pursue the modification.

Child Custody And Visitation

Modifying child custody and visitation agreements requires a material change in circumstances substantially in nature affecting the best interests of the child. Reasons that modifications are granted include parental relocation, a change in the child’s needs, change in the custodial parent’s fitness, an unstable home or interference with a parental relationship, among other reasons.

Child Support Payments

To modify child support, there must be a substantial change in circumstances or a substantial change in the financial ability of one party. This may include a job loss, financial hardships, one parent’s income increasing or a change in the child’s needs. We can help you with modifications involving increases or decreases as well as termination of support.


Alimony may be modifiable, depending on which type it is. Periodic and rehabilitation alimony may be modified; lump-sum and reimbursement alimony usually may not. If a modification is possible, the party requesting the modification must meet certain criteria for the court to consider it.

Get Started Today

Please call Braddock Law Firm, LLC, in Florence at (843) 536-0402 or (800) 836-6550, or contact the firm online for an appointment.